Many Android phones do not have backlit keys in its hardware which makes it very difficult to take a look or hit the keys at night or in any dark condition.By default Nexus and One plus devices comes with this feature which helps them to turn on or off the on-screen keys. If your android is on 5.0 Lollipop or above then you can get this on screen keys. Basically, there are several ways to get the on screen keys but I have shown the best two ways. The first method is using an app which is not difficult. It is the fasted and easiest way to get the soft buttons on your phone. If this method did not help you to get the navigation keys then skip to the next method. The second method involves some changes in the build of your android. I’ll try to make this tutorial as simple as possible.
NOTE: This is 100% an easy and safe method without causing any harm to your device unless you mess up with build prop files. You don’t require any PC or laptop. You just need to perform some customization on your android device itself. This is no data loss method and all your device pictures and other data will be saved.
THINGS TO DO BEFORE:
- Your device must be rooted. Applying the on screen keys is not a standalone process, you need to get the root access. If you have already rooted your android then proceed to the next step else we have step by step tutorial to root any android device in one minute.
- On your android, go to settings and enable the unknown sources. This will allow installing the app which I provided in the above link.
- Download and install the app.
- Once the app is installed, open it and it will ask for root permissions which should be granted.
- Tap on Open Menu then tap on virtual keys and select enable the virtual keys. In few moments it will ask for reboot, select “Yes Proceed”.
- After successfully restarting your android, you can observe the virtual keys on your phone. Congratulation!
- If you want to disable the on screen keys, then open the app, tap on Open Menu<< Virtual Keys<< Disable the Virtual keys.
- Download and install Build Prop Editor
- Open the app, it will ask for root permissions. Make sure to grant root permissions else the changes which we make will not take effect.
- On Build Pro Editor, tap on edit symbol on the top right-hand corner, it will open the text file editor. Scroll down to the bottom and “qemu.hw.mainkeys=0″(Do not add “double quotes”).
- Save the file and restart your phone.
- Your phone will show on screen navigation menu on your screen.
- If you wish to disable it, then remove the code that you have added in Build Prop Editor.